Monday, June 15, 2009

T-I-M-B-E-R !!!

We have so much shade in our yard, it is hard for me to have gardens. The ones that I have run along the sides of our fence and are shade loving plants. (No veggie garden for this girl. Coming from a family of gardeners, this is a "bit" sad for me.)

A few years ago, when I discovered that our pecan tree was a pecan tree, I was thrilled. I could harvest pecans! (note: pecan trees do not give a harvest every year. With this particular tree, I have a good harvest about every two or three years.) This last year was a great year for us. Those pecans are great in cookies, breads, muesli cereal, or simply roasted...mmmm!

With the addition to our house, the tree has to come down. Oh, the thought of no pecans. No! Wait a minute.

Pecans every few years vs. a place for shelter.

This addition will be a place for a young guy to know that he belongs and is cared for. A place for friends and family to gather, to celebrate and grow together. That decision becomes really easy, without regrets.
So in April, with house expansion plans approved, Todd and our dear friend Jerry, became lumberjacks for the day. Sort of.








It was a long day for the guys. The limb lacking tree looks so looming against the evening sky. It was a good tree. It served us well. I know for certain that the addition will serve us even better!
I have thought about this tree, and the lessons pondered. (I just love how God speaks to us through His creation!) I've thought about this tree through the years, and been disappointed when fall came and there was no fruit, nuts in this case. It causes me to reflect on my own life and the fruit I bear.
Am I bearing fruit? Is it good fruit? What is good fruit? Do those around me enjoy the fruit I bear? Is it fruit that brings glory to the Creator?
John 15, of The Message, says this...
"I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated can't produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is dead wood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is - when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples."
May my fruit be the fruit that is good and always in season, benefitting all those around me, causing them to give thanks to the Creator God!

1 comment:

jwright said...

If you do ever have room to plant another pecan tree visit our website www.basspecan.com or you could just order some of our Mammoth Halves or pieces for all your baking needs.