Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Traffic

I had to go into Charlotte last week. I never mind going, I love it really. However, when I have to be there early, I HAVE TO leave my house before 7 am.

It doesn't matter if I leave at 6:45 or 6:58, I just have to be on the road before 7 am, or I will be stuck in traffic. A few of us around here talk about this fact. We all agree...be in your car and on the road before the clock strikes 7!

On this beautiful day, I hit the road...a few minutes later than planned...putting me in my car, on the road, at 7:08. I was sailing right along, and then...bumper to bumper. No worries. I had time, I'm just not sure this is how I wanted to spend my time. I relax, take in the scenery, memorize the license plate ahead of me, sing at the top of my lungs, stuff like that.

Then, a business van pulls in front of me. On the rear doors, he has two magnetic posters up, asking me, "Have you seen me?" I look closely, no. I haven't seen either one of these two kids, Angel or Savanna. I start to wonder where are they? Who has seen them? Are they still around to be seen? My heart aches and I start to pray. I pray for their families, their safety, God's protection and mercy to be upon them. I pray for them to be safe. When I can't pray anymore, I jet into the other lane and pass that van.

Soon, I come up on a cute little sports car to my left. The kid in it is trying to burn up the road, in a traffic jam. I smile to myself. Then, he pulls in front of me. (Dude! Careful!) Then I notice his bumper stickers, I actually start to get physically sick. They are absolutely disgusting! Seriously, I can take a few things. These were absolutely vulgar...I can NEVER repeat to anyone what I read.

My first thought was, "I can't believe his mother allows him to have these on his car!" Then I think, "maybe he doesn't have a mother."...like the lost boys of Neverland. Again, my heart is heavy. I start to pray for this young guy. I pray for the Lord to reveal Himself. I pray that the Lord sends someone into his life to show him love and grace. That the Lord, Himself would be merciful to this young man.

I was still in traffic, but traveling forward. From here my thoughts went back to my wedding day, July 7, 1990. At we were introduced as Mr. And Mrs., our friend sang, "Find Us Faithful", by Steve Green.

Our prayer, for our life together, was that song. It still is our prayer.



"May those who come behind us find us faithful.


May the fire of our devotion light their way,


May the footprints that we leave,


lead them to believe


and the lives we live, inspire them to obey."




What are people seeing as they follow me? They may not always "choose" to be behind me, but traffic, aka "circumstances" have them following behind me. My prayer is that they see something that inspires them, a light that would encourage them to keep on in the journey, a joy like none they have ever seen.


No comments: